Monday, August 15, 2011

Tandoori Chicken - The Home style

I have always relished and craved for the Tandoori Chicken that amma (my mom) prepared since childhood in her Non-Veg classes. However, we would get them once in a blue moon when we have a get together with friends or when relatives are in India.

I would relate the craving to the following reasons:

1. Taste - Unbeatable
2. Flavour of the Ingredients
3. Homemade so undoubtedly Hygienic

After 8 years of Marriage, I wonder what went over me that I started to experiment a lot on Non Vegetarian cooking. How could I forget Tandoori Chicken when am totally into Meat and Sea food? I baked this a couple of weeks ago and it was a total hit at home. Having said that, since my boys are less than 8yrs, I ensured that my chilly powder was less and hardly any food colour. For those of you who want the Red Tandoori Chicken, follow the recipe given below and enjoy it.

Ingredients:

1 kilo Chicken Legs & Breasts
2 tbsp vinegar
1/2 cup oil
Few drops orange red colour
Salt & lime juice to taste

To Grind:
1 medium onion
2 ½ tbsp chilli powder
2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin powder
1  tsp pepper powder
8 small flakes garlic
2" ginger

Method:
1. Squeeze lime juice and mix with salt.
2. Rub into chicken and keep aside for 10 mins.
3. Mix ground paste, oil, colour, vinegar and tsp of salt into the chicken and mix thoroughly and rub over chicken.
4. Marinate in refrigerator for six hours.
<><><> 
Marinated Chicken
5. Place on the grill tray and brush little oil.
6. Bake in a hot oven at 180 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes till the excess oil drips out.
7. Pour the excess dripping out and brush with oil.
8. Grill on both the sides for 10 minutes till crisp and brown. 
9. If the meat is fleshy, increase the time of baking and grilling.
<><> <><>
Tandoori Chicken
Note: Additional chilly powder may be added depending upon taste.

6 comments:

  1. It looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much....I have a long way to go with more recipes in the pipeline and better pictures. Ur blog is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a nice start..and a a gud effort..helps a guy like me who doesnt cook much but would want to eat some gud food of my own hands..i can learn from here..u make it look so simple..gud job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karthik,

    Thank you very much. Now to click Join this site and follow this blog so you get updated on the recipes when they are added. By the way, it is simple and that's why it sounds simple as well. Do try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Vaidehi, keep cooking & blogging. Blog only after u cook so that any probs get corrected and then gets passed on to us ;-)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey...thanks Uthara....well I will never post recipes unless and until I have tested the recipe myself even if it is kaialavu measurements (random cooking) :-)

    ReplyDelete