|Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu|
1/2 cup Red gram dal
1/2 cup Bengal gram dal
1 tbsp rice
5 - 6 Dried chillies
Pinch Turmeric powder
One small lemon size Tamarind
1 Litre water
Salt to taste
Ingredients for the Kuzhambu(Gravy):
1 - 2 tbsp grated coconut
Few fenugreek seeds
6 - 7 Dried chillies
2 tbsp Black gram dal
1 tsp Dania (Coriander seeds)
1 sp oil to fry
Method to make the dumplings:
1. Soak the Dals and rice for atleast for an hour.
2. Strain the water and grind it along with Asafoetida and chillies.
3. Dont add water while grinding and the batter must be thick.
4. Add salt and turmeric powder and make small urundai (dumplings).
Method for making Kuzhambu (gravy):
1. Fry all ingredients except coconut & tamarind.
2. Let the mixture cool and grind it with coconut.
3. Add 1 lit of water to the tamarind and extract.
4. Take a pan and boil the tamarind extract.
5. Add salt and turmeric and let it boil for some time.
6. Add the ground masala & Let it boil for some time.
7. Put the dumplings into the kuzhambu (gravy) one by one very carefully.
8. Ensure that the dumplings are not stuck to each other.
9. The dumplings will float when cooked.
10. Garnish it with mustard, bengal gram dhal and curry leaves. This may be fried with ghee or coconut oil.
11. You can mix this gravy with rice and have the dumplings as the side dish.