Friday, May 22, 2020

Kadai Paneer

My eyes spotted a brand of Malai Paneer, that I have never heard or seen before when I went to Nuts n Spices some days ago.

I immediately grabbed 2 packets for two reasons;

A. I love Paneer and so do my kids
B. And I love Paneer (hahaha)

It was lying in the fridge and when I decided to make Chappathis and Paneer for dinner last night, Amma suggested that I try out her Kadai paneer recipe. I instantly agreed (and it is not always that I agree without a bit of hesitation in my mind). She quickly told me the ingredients to get ready with and the basic steps. And that's how much I wanted her help, so I put on her favourite World War II documentary on Netflix to watch, while Arnav and I took over the kitchen and started to prepare our dinner for the night. 

And just when we got every ingredient ready and got all the pastes done, Amma walks into the kitchen (as if she got a telepathy). She offered to stand by my side and guide me, to fry the ingredients for the right amount of time and not over cook. I agreed without a bit of hesitation, for I did not want to hurt her. And the result of it was the amazing aromatic Kadai Paneer that we all indulged in. 

"A mom is always your first and the best teacher and I have one of the best as well". 

Note: Indiska Paneer was as good as the Shri Mithai Paneer that we normally prefer.


MAIN INGREDIENTS:

400 gms Paneer aka Cottage Cheese
2 Medium onions (Cut into 8 and separate the segments)
1 Large capsicum (Cut into 1 inch squares)
2 Medium tomatoes (Deseed and cut into 1 inch squares)
1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
2 Cardamoms
2 Cloves
1/2 Inch Cinnamon
50 gms Cooking Butter
1 cup Milk
1 cup Water
1/2 cup Fresh Cream
50 ml for frying
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves for garnishing

400gms Paneer
Cut Paneer
Cut Vegetables, Whole Spices and Fried onion paste


Main Ingredients

Cut Vegetables


INGREDIENTS FOR GRINDING (Fried Onion Paste)

2 Medium sized onion - Fry the onions in some oil until it turns pinkish. Let the mixture cool down and grind to a smooth paste. 


INGREDIENTS FOR GRINDING (MASALA PASTE)

1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tbsp Red Chilly Powder
1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1 Tsp Garam Masala

Add some water and grind the above ingredients into a fine paste.


INGREDIENTS FOR GRINDING (TOMATO PUREE)

3 Medium tomatoes

Blanch the Tomatoes and let it cool. Grind well and strain to remove seeds and peel. 


METHOD:

1. Heat a Kadai or Wok, add butter and oil. Fry the whole spices and add the fried onion paste.


2. Fry it for a few minutes. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell is removed. 


3. Add the masala paste and fry for a few minutes.


4. Add the vegetables starting with onion and ending with tomatoes (frying each for a minute)




5. Add in the Tomato Puree and let it cook for a few minutes. 


6. Pour in the milk and water and add salt to taste. Let it cook for a couple of minutes. 


7. Add in the Paneer (Cottage Cheese), mix gently and let it cook for a couple of minutes.  (Adding them as it is without frying retains its softness and taste). 



8. Add the fresh cream and stir it gently. 



9. Garnish with coriander leaves (I did not have any at home so have not done this step during this lockdown period)

No comments:

Post a Comment